National Politics In offensive of civil debate - How our nations forefathers battled it out

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) Regarding Aaron Burr (1756-1836):

"I never thought him an honest, frank-dealing man, but considered as a crooked gun or other perveted machine, whose air or shot you could never be sure of."


Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) Regarding John Adams:

"He is distrustful, obstinate, excessively vain , and takes no counsel from "anyone"

"
Henry Adams Bellows (1803–1873) on elections:

"During an election campaign the air is full of speeches and vice-versa."


John Admas


"If I were to go over my life again, I would be a shoe maker rather than a statesman."

Children of the 80's Edition:

J.R. Ewing, "Dallas

"The cardinal rule of politics - never get caught in bed with a live man or a dead woman."


Ronald Reagan on Jimmy Carter

"Depression is when you are out of work. A recession is when your neighbor is out of work. A recovery is when Jimmy Carter is out of work."


Barbara Bush circa 1984 on Geraldine Ferraro
(b. 1935)

"I can't say it, but it rhymes with rich."


(An apoology followed frm Mrs. Bush-claiming she had meant "witch")

Missourians:
Harry S. Truman

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth there's hardly and difference"


Mark Twain

"Suppose you were an idiot , and suppose you were a member of Congress, but I repeat myself."