Servant Leadership Mr. Meyer and Me

Mr. Meyer, Jory Rolf and I greet each other as Branson Aldermen adjourn and regroup for closed session

Meyer wants to both learn and teach me at the same time. The first concept he wants to teach me is about servant leadership.

He's an interesting and visible enough member of the community that I've taken the time to study him.


Habit 1: Be Proactive:

Bill # 3427 is fresh on my mind. Meyer wants to build Whispering Cove and is smart enough not to annex until the project is completed. He knows where to start the handshake and when to finish it.

Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind: Principles of Personal Leadership


By the time we sit down to talk Bill #3427 has passed through first and second readings and recieved the Mayor Presley's approval - sealed with an official stamp and signature.

I know he reads me on a regular basis and recall seeing him while working on a job for a local newspaper. But, I'm not the newspaper man to him; to him I'm the blogger. A blog banned through a no-mention policy in the paper.

He asks for understanding - wants to know what makes me tick - seeing I'm putting the horse before the cart....(I'm working on number 8)


Habit 3: Put First Things First: Principles of Personal Management

I also know Meyer is a man of strong faith with a heart for the poor. In the most basic sense, he's learned the path from poverty to the middle class involves self-realization of the impoverished. The methods posted here illustrate some of his methodologies.

The success of his mission ultimately makes our community stronger.

Habit 4: Think Win/Win: Principles of Interpersonal Leadership

He's asking me questions and tells me why he's asking them.

# Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood: Principles of Empathetic Communication

He says I remind him of Jerry Henry, Branson area guru of statistical anomalies. A great compliment. I study Henry's findings whenever the opportunity arises.

He makes some recommendations based on the principals of servant leadership and tells me how to be a better citizen in the community - signs to look for and pitfalls to avoid.
I take his advice - I forward intel regarding topics to be discussed at the next alderman meeting with cutting edge graphics and data they'll never find by simple digging.

Habit 6: Synergize: Principles of Creative Communication

This is an everyday practice.

Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw: Principles of Balanced Self-Renewal

The 7 Habits are from the book, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

The 8th habit, from a book Covey wrote in 1994 From Effectiveness to Greatness
shares this grand nugget of wisdom.

We're in the the Knowledge Worker Age.....The challenges and complexity we face today are of a different order of magnitude. The 8th habit is essentially "Find your voice and inspire others to find theirs...^